Human Resources Job Market in Canada
The human resources sector is a highly competitive industry that is positioned for steady growth. With the gradual recovery of corporate profits following the financial crisis in 2010, the human resources sector in Canada has begun to see some growth in the past five years. The industry is expected to stabilize as the number of businesses and overall corporate profit continues to increase.
Opportunities will open up primarily from the increase in the number of roles available and also those positions vacated by human resources specialists that are retiring or being promoted to higher level positions.
About Human Resources Connections
Human Resources Connections is a seven-week employment program that assists internationally-trained Human Resources professionals to obtain employment in their field. Our successful model is based on: strong employer involvement, academic training that focuses on Canadian context, post-hire supports including workplace language training and coaching.
- One-to-one support from an employment consultant who is knowledgeable about the sector
- Connections to employers who are hiring in your sector
- Access to mentors who are professionals in your field
- Invitations to attend recruitment and networking events
- Business communication and workplace culture training in a Canadian context
- Orientation to your sector in Canada through critical academic training. This component provides 150 hours of training and instruction to orient participants to HR sector regulations in Ontario and Canada. Topics include:
- Canadian Legislation
- Health and Safety
- Industrial Relations
- Employment Law and Diversity
- Labour Relations
Industry Advisory Committee: Human Resources Connections Program
Greg Ball, BA, MBA, Associate Dean, Pilon School of Business, Sheridan College
Annette Dhanasar, CHRP, CHRL, District Manager Human Resources, FedEx Canada
Ali Farooqui, CHRL, Human Resources Manager, Polar Pak Inc.
Sharon Jobity , CHRL, CPCC, Ontario Centres of Excellence, Vice President, Human Resources & Talent Acquisition
Selina Louzado, Human Resources Director, Novotel Hotels & Resorts
Jessie MacDougall, Academic Portfolio Administrator, Pilon School of Business, Sheridan College
Nathalie Moir, Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA), Regulatory Process Specialist - Office of the Registrar
Helen Davies, VP Human Resources, Community Banking, TD Bank Group
Juliet Smith, Talent Acquisition Specialist, Human Resources, Symcor
Companies that have recently hired from our program:EmergiTel
Polar Pak Inc.
Toronto District School Board
Retail Ready Foods
David & Henderson
Shoppers Drug Mart
New Life Fertility
Our graduates have been hired into the following roles:
Learning and Development Consultant
Compensation and Collective Bargaining
HR Head of Department
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Training and Development
- The fee for this program is $500. This offsets a portion of the Sheridan College academic component. The program may be eligible for full reimbursement through the Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program.
- All books and materials are included or available on-loan to participants at no additional cost.
- All other costs related to the program and employment services are generously funded by the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada.
Human Resources Connections is funded by the Government of Ontario and delivered in partnership with Sheridan College, OTEC and supported by HRPA.
To learn more about Human Resources Connections, please click here to email Michelle Allen or call at 905.454.2316.